Celent's latest remote capture deposit report highlights the gulf between the very few financial institutions that have successfully deployed RDC solutions and the remaining 3000+ whose results are lackluster (see chart below, courtesy of Celent).
7 Habits for Successful RDC Deployment
1. A robust vision for the RDC opportunity
2. Senior management sponsorship and visibility
3. A realistic risk assessment
4. Significant investment in sales and marketing with clear objectives
5. Involvement of the retail bank at the branch level
6. Specific and incremental sales incentives
7. A sense of urgency
Successful introduction of a new product relies heavily on project management fundamentals. The most important element of leading effective change within an organization is to define and constantly communicate a compelling vision of where you are going. This responsibility falls heavily on project sponsors (executive leadership) as well as project leaders. It isn't necessarily hard to do, but requires constant attention. It's too easy to get bogged down in the technical challenges and small details of a vast deployment and forget to champion the cause.
For practical tips and suggestions for leading change and implementing technology within your organization see the ForteBlog Project Management Series.